November 7, 2009

Thinking about turkey...

I don't know why I woke up this morning thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. Strange...even though I LOVE to eat, I usually don't wake up with food on my mind, unless I am thinking about what kind of cereal I will eat for breakfast! But the whole turkey dinner was on my mind, and it got me to thinking about what new, special, non-traditional dishes I can add to the table this year. We are going to have Thanksgiving with my family this year--my brother and my sister-in-law are coming into town, and some family friends are going to join us too. Since my mom is still going to be recovering, the rest of us will be heading up much of the cooking duties this year.

Our Thanksgiving meal usually consists of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (bread--my favorite, and cornbread), green bean casserole, sometimes spiral sliced ham, cranberry sauce, rolls, and then of course, pumpkin pie. Sometimes we there are a few different things (depending on which side of the family we are eating with) like a jello salad, sweet potatoes, or broccoli rice casserole, but we usually stick to the same ol' same ol'.

So here is my question...do you have any dishes that are a part of your traditions that I should add to ours? I'm always on the hunt for new, yummy recipes, and would love to hear any great ideas from you!

I can't believe it is already November 7th...this year really has just flown by, and I know we'll be celebrating new years in just moments. But I love fall (if you couldn't tell that already!) and especially Thanksgiving. So I'm taking it all in, striving to enjoy every minute, appreciating all the blessings I have in my life right now, and looking forward to some yummy food!!!

5 comments:

Brian and Dara said...

You could always do "Pink Pineapple" :-)
One year when my brother visited, we had ribs instead of turkey. It was different and fun!

-Dara

Megan Walker said...

I have a great squash casserole dish that is so yummy. It is kind of New Mexican style because it calls for green chile. Or I have a to die for sweet potato casserole that is more like dessert. I will email them to you.

Audra said...

I have a broccoli casserole I found the recipe for years ago in a Taste of Home magazine and it's so so good. It immediately became part of our Thanksgiving menu. I'll post it soon.

Riley Kai said...

I couldn't imagine Thanksgiving without a sweet potatoe casserole! It is almost like a pie and so yummy! We just whip sweet potatoes (previously cooked in oven) together with butter and brown sugar. Top it with mini marshmellows and pop it in the oven until they brown. Its quick, easy, and everyone loves it:-)

Jenny Brannan said...

I say, bring on the egg nog! =)