November 16, 2009

Misplaced Holidays...

For those of you who have been reading my blogs for awhile, especially through the Christmas season, you know that I LOVE Christmas! I love the music, the lights, the meaning behind it...I love it all!

But...

Isn't there a too early to have decorations up? Just yesterday I saw some neighborhoods that already have their garlands and red bows out on their signs! I mean, it isn't just the seeing Christmas decorations on the first of November. Think about when we start seeing things out in the stores...Valentine's Day stuff in January, Back to School stuff out in June, Halloween stuff in September, and so many more! It seems to me that everything is so commericalized--the "Hallmark Holidays" as my husband calls them--that we get it pushed on us earlier and earlier each year. Holidays are such big business, and we are rushed into the mindset that we have to hurry, buy our gifts, our cards, or decorations ASAP! Sometimes is just drives me nuts!


I just want to take time to enjoy this time of year, this season, this day, this moment. Our busy lives and fast-paced society just seem to keep us feeling in a constant state of hurry. My goal for the rest of this month is to slow down, and truly take the time to be thankful for each and every blessing in my life...to truly give thanks during this Thanks-giving season!



...But that won't keep me from decorating my house (and my blog!) and turning on the Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, though!! =)

4 comments:

Riley Kai said...

I needed that reminder today! Thanks:-)

Candie said...

Actually, this year I'm buying, decorating, baking, and preparing earlier than ever before so that when the holidays do roll around I can sit back, relax and enjoy them. I always feel that I'm shopping and baking and picking out presents last minute - so it is always hustle and bustle. Hopefully I'll be ahead of the game this year so I can enjoy the family time that I sometimes miss due to trying to "get it all done". I'm excited to get my Christmas decor up this weekend (instead of after Thanksgiving) so that when I get back from doing THanksgiving at mom's the house will already be decorated and we can enjoy it longer. Whew! That was a lot to say!!! :)

Justinand said...

Never posted back on my own comments!!! But I like what Candie said, and I agree...it is nice to get stuff done early so you can sit back and enjoy the holidays. I wish I was better at getting it all done ahead of time. I guess what I don't like is the commercialized stuff in stores being so early! That's what really bothers me!

Ronni said...

Normally, I completely agree with this (and still kinda do this year), but for some reason, I am SOOO anxious to start the Christmas season this year. I think b/c we've been uprooted and nothing is familiar here, that I am longing for something familiar and comforting. OK, maybe that doesn't make sense? Anyway, I'm really loving your daily blogs - keep 'em coming!