November 12, 2009

The Shack...

I know this book was very popular (and controversial too!) a couple years ago when it came out. I heard all the reviews, both good and bad, for awhile before I finally read it last fall. I'm a fast reader, and so I read through it in about a day. I remember my first thought after I finished it was, "Whoa. I need to read that again to really understand it." But here it is, over a year later, and I am just getting around to rereading it.



My chiropractor saw me reading it today, and we had a good discussion about it. He hadn't read it, and had heard all the controversy through the years, and wanted to know what I thought. I told him, from reading it the first time around, I remember thinking what an amazing way to think of how we as Christians can relate, interact, and should have a relationship with God. Now I know that this is a work of fiction (and I think that is part of the problem of why it is so controversial--people forget that). But, I think a lot of people would agree, that the Trinity is such a hard concept to grasp. I was impressed at the author's imagination and way of introducing us to the three parts of the Trinity.



I'm not done re-reading it yet, just getting to the Trinity part of the book again, but I'm curious... if you read it, what did you think about it?

3 comments:

Candie said...

I completely agree with you. You have to be ready for the depth it offers before you read and you have to keep in mind it's fiction. But it gave me a "better way to grasp" the trinity and...I'm truly excited about the day I go to heaven. I used to fear the unknown...and I guess in a way I'll always wonder about it...but I'm at peace and now excited about that day when it does come.

Cristina said...

I haven't read it yet... I am reading another book right now about parenting. And I am having a hard time finding the time to get through it... maybe I can find The Shack on tape or something. I know a few people that read it and I heard mixed reviews.

Anonymous said...

I read it last year, and really enjoyed it. I love being able to look at God in new ways, and it did that for me. I think it's healthy. My God is always changing, always getting bigger and more intimate, and I love being challenged to think about things differently, and how God can use it to speak to me. I should probably read it again too soon. :)