December 24, 2008

Baby Jesus

Ever since I was a little girl, the story of Baby Jesus' birth has been my absolute favorite part of the Bible. When I was small, my grandma would tell me the story, and I would act it out. I was always Mary, because she got to be pregnant and have Baby Jesus. We even had a name for the donkey that Mary had to ride on to Bethlehem (Clippity-Clop). When I would have nightmares, my mom would always tell me the story of Baby Jesus, and it always helped me not to be afraid anymore--something I find myself still doing to this today! Plus, as a family, on Christmas day we always did a whole "production" of the Christmas story (of course, I got to be Mary in this one too!)

All this to say that I love Christmas. It is so easy, though, for me to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everything that I think I have to do--finding the perfect presents for everyone, getting food cooked just right, and visiting everyone. Even the fun things about Christmas--the lights, music, and time with friends and family can get overwhelming. I'm determined, though, to remember and focus on the true reason for the season-the birth of Jesus. I love Christmas for this reason alone--to celebrate the birth of my Savior--the ultimate Gift that God gave to us.


This year is a bittersweet one for me--I'm still excited for all that comes with Christmas, but I often find myself thinking about my baby boy, who should have been a month old on Christmas day. As I was enjoying our Christmas Eve service tonight, I found myself tearing up, thinking about what would have been. We were surrounded by kids, as well as one that was so sweetly singing along to the Christmas carols right behind us. Our pastor spoke about the hope, peace, joy, and love that this Advent (the coming of Christ) season brings. I'm so glad that have hope for future children, as well as a peace deep in my heart that my little guy is in such a better place, but it is still hard. So I'm chosing to enjoy this Christmas, and just like when I was little and had a nightmare, which is what losing Jonathan feels like, I will remind myself of Jesus and the story of Him coming to earth for me.


I pray that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas--the fun parts, as well as the truly important part--Jesus!

6 comments:

Candie said...

Much love and peace Alyson, on the Christmas night. This will be a happy New Year for you!!! :)

Joy said...

Aly, I am so glad you guys are here with us....It is SO good to be with you. We love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Alyson,
As I read your blog, my eyes filled with tears. As we sat in front of you during that Christmas Eve service, I prayed for you...for your strength, peace, and joy...your heart has endured so much this year. I love you and want you to know I am still praying for you every day.
Love,
Michelle

Aaron said...

Will Ferrell's Xmas Prayer...too funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDC2iBQTYg

Tena said...

Thinking about you today and sending prayers your way for positive results on Monday!

What a great example of faith you are to the rest of us!

Taryn said...

Oh Alyson, I am somewhat familiar with your feelings as you posted this about Christmas and the story of Jesus. I found your blog through other friends' blogs. As I prayed and prayed for a child prior to our embryo adoption, I used to mark Christmases and birthdays..."maybe next Christmas". I have prayed for you before and will pray again. I am so sorry for your loss. May God bless you richly in the new year!